Table of Contents--The WisCon Chronicles Vol. 11: Trials by Whiteness

What with stress, depression, anxiety, dissertating, diabetes, and WisCon, I haven't had energy or time to think beyond a day. But getting to WisCon41 was wonderful because it is so life-affirming, even if I managed to do exactly zero panels and spent most of my time either sleeping, walking, eating, socializing, or working on my dissertation in the lobby. Which as it turned out was a good thing. 

Amidst all that, THE WISCON CHRONICLES VOL 11: TRIALS BY WHITENESS was out! I found it first in Room of One's Own, and at the Aqueduct Press table! It's beautiful! It's shiny! It turned out even better than I expected!! And more importantly, IT IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!

Here are my brilliant brilliant contributors!! 

WisCon40 GUEST OF HONOR SPEECHES
Nalo Hopkinson
Justine Larbalestier
Sofia Samatar

OUR IMMEDIATE VICINITY
WisCon40 Opening Ceremonies: WisCon is my Family Reunion -- Kat Tanaka Okopnik
All Our Relations -- Nisi Shawl
Who Is Safe? -- Beth Plutchak
Legacy of the Past and Foundation for the Future -- Isabel Schecter
On WisCon, and Who is Allowed to Feel Welcome -- K. Tempest Bradford
Navigating WisCon 39 as a Local POC on the Ground or, A Tale of Two WisCons: WisCon 39 & WisCon 40 -- LaShawn Wanak
Five Scenes Between WisCons -- Kat Tanaka Okopnik

WHITENESS MYRIAD FORMS
Being Jewish, Being White? -- Veronica Schanoes
Where in the WORLD is WorldCon?: A Twitter Thread -- Crystal Huff
Ansibel (excerpt) -- Tea Hvala
Far Away Enough to Count: Ansible Q&A -- Tea Hvala & Jaymee Goh

TOUCHING WHITENESS
asian flavours -- Joyce Chng
The Long Arm of the West -- Nibedita Sen
The Lies You Learned -- S. Qiouyi Lu
I Used to Call Myself a Coconut -- Susheela Bhat Harkins

OUR DEFIANT SELVES
"Entralink": A Quilting Q&A -- Annie Chen & Jaymee Goh
Science Fiction for My Failing Heart: On the Purposes of Speculation in Adverse Circumstances -- Regina Yung Lee
Rolodex -- Mark Oshiro
Mammie Don' Left the Plantation [and Took the Good Seasoning with Her]--How WisCon Helped Me to Stop Cleaning Up White People's Messes -- Jennifer Cross
Advice for the Broken: Curating Weaponized Love Amongst the Multiply Marginalized -- Medieval POC

Many thanks to Timmi Duchamp who gave me the honour of editing this WisCon Chronicles volume!! I am still vaguely breathless that she let me get away with the title. 

Also many thanks to Kath Williams, my managing editor, whose efficiency is something to be marveled at! I learned so much about editorial workflow from her. Also since she was the one preparing the proofs, she very patiently went along with my harebrained ideas, such as having Crystal Huff's Twitter thread on chairing WorldCon, and laying out Tea Hvala's story excerpt in two languages, Slovenian and English, on opposite pages. I wanted a very wide range of work and possibilities. I think fondly of past volumes which have included panel reports and comics! 

Special mention goes to Annie Chen who joked about making me a quilt instead of writing me an essay, and because I suffer from sarchasm, I said, "that sounds awesome! Do it!" and this is how we ended up with such a beautiful cover! She then donated the quilt to the Tiptree Auction, where Sumana Harihareswara wrapped herself in it as auctioneer and sold it off for $210! 

I hope you enjoy it!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Pidgin Does Not Signify Lack Of Intellect

Race in Cartoons

May 13 Blogswarm Links Post