"Colour Kuning"

I wrote this during the Bersih 2.0 rally a few years ago, and am bringing it back for Bersih4.

When I was growing up
I learned, bila
kita kata colour kuning,
rakyat loyal recognize
kuning colour royal.
e.g., Payung kuning
payung Agong.

When I moved to North America,
I learned, bila
kita kata colour kuning,
cowboy tahu colour kuningtu
colour coward,
entah kenapa?
Could be racist;
orang Cina orang kuning, kan?
Could be Greek;
cholera tu kuning.

Hari ini colour kuning
colour anti-corruption,
colour courage kat
kota K.L.
Kita kata colour kuning
colour rakyat,
the rakyat who refuse
ballot-ballot kotor,
the rakyat who rally
for the usual,
fairness and equality–

big deal, O.K.?
Bukan budaya kuning.
Jangan cakap tentang
Western demokrasi,
kerana demokrasi
tak semua sama,
also kerana demokrasi
bukan concept saja,
bukan discussion philosophy,
but real life policy,
bila kita tengok
teargas! water cannon!
suppress! the! rakyat!
arrest! the! protestors!

Real-life rallies
kat kota K.L.
coloured kuning
exist, resist,
reject, perfect:
Respect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Pidgin Does Not Signify Lack Of Intellect

Race in Cartoons

May 13 Blogswarm Links Post