A Chat Transcript

Which I will post in place of an actual blogpost, because even though I Tumblr'd it, it deserves to be its own post. It came on the heels of a discussion about my posts on parental cruelty, but took a religious turn:

Tariq: yeah 
I keep feeling that "accept", which is a word people use a lot in that context, is exactly the wrong word to use 
I mean... are you saying that it's right? 
Jaymee: yeah, exactly 
i think they more tolerate it 
Tariq: what does one mean when one tells another person to "accept" things the way things are? 
Jaymee: usually? 
i get the feeling of 
"Just give it up, it wont change and you'll only make yourself more unhappy by thinking about changing things" 
Tariq: except that if you think it, and you explore it, the entire premise of existence is pain. it doesn't make the pain and the injustice right. 
it means that you can't do anything about it. 
Jaymee: oh, shut up, i just came out of 10 years of telling myself that life is pain and suffering 
that's one of those things which sickened me about buddhism XD 
Tariq: yeah, well, it's not just pain and suffering! 
I mean, come on! 
if life is all about pain and suffering suicide's a best bet. 
Jaymee: yeah 
Tariq: I mean, this is my upbringing as a Muslim, yeah. you're going to get pain and suffering and injustice. 
but then there's pleasure and joy and happiness. 
Jaymee: yeah, we dont get that in buddhism 
not theravadan buddhism anyway 
Tariq: and in any case 
there's this metaphor about how life is a golden bridge 
for Muslims anyway 
a bridge linking the alam azali and alam barzakh 
and all the commentators are going, "Oh, life is transition, it isn't permanent." 
and I'm like, "HELLO. GOLDEN FUCKING BRIDGE." 
Jaymee: XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD 
Tariq: Yeah, it's not gonna be there forever! 
yeah, it's not all fun and games, and you get no rest! 
but\ 
Jaymee: STILL 
Tariq: HELLO, this is your only chance to make a difference to where you go in the end. 
Jaymee: BRIDGE 
OF MOTHERFUCKIN GOLD 
YA'LL 
Tariq: DO YOU KNOW HOW VALUABLE IT IS? 
in any case. 
Jaymee: this is tumblr'd 
Tariq: ...what? 
oh yeah 
before you do that 
there's another saying from Muhammad 
"Live like you will live for a thousand years, worship like you will die tomorrow." 
commentators are all "Oh, you know, take it easy with life, worship like a loon." 
and I'm like 
Jaymee: gah! 
Tariq: PLEASE IF I KNOW I WAS GONNA LIVE FOR A 1000 YEARS I'M GONNA LIVE LIKE A FUCKING SUPERSTAR 
BECAUSE DUDE 
1000 FUCKING YEARS 
Jaymee: OH 
Tariq: ALSO, LONG-TERM PLANNING WILL BE AWESOME 
Jaymee: i thought 'cos you know, if you live 1000 years sure you can make a difference 
so live like you can make a difference 
XD 
Tariq: EXACTLY 
YOU'D BE LIKE A MOTHER FUCKING HERO 
the Muslims get all these awesome aphorisms 
and WE FUCK IT ALL UP 
and WE FUCK IT ALL UP 
Jaymee: well, not all of you 
Tariq: yes well. 
still. 
I mean granted our metaphysics leaks holes like nobody's business 
I mean come on, Neoplatonism? Don't make me laugh, dude! 
aaanyway. 
feel free to strip out the context and tumblr the shit out of this XD 
Jaymee: clearly this conversation must become the basis of a Steampunk Nusantara entry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race in Cartoons

My Pidgin Does Not Signify Lack Of Intellect

May 13 Blogswarm Links Post